Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Weekend Wrap-Up and Week 12


20 miler done on Memorial Day on the beautiful and almost flat course of the Mt. Vernon Trail which starts in Alexandria, VA and goes into DC. Only looking to improve from here and goal for this training run was to stay steady and get to 20! 
Also I wanted to enjoy the trail and my legs appreciated the mostly flat terrain yet there where a couple of good hills.  I started the trail at mile 8 which is a bit before Alexandria and went south to the begining of trail (George Washington's House) and then turned around and went into Alexandria and then turn back to the middle of trail where I parked my car.

  
Here some facts about the trail from their website:
The Mount Vernon Trail is a big favorite of area cyclists. The trail offers wonderful views of the Potomac and DC monuments. There are also several points-of-interest along the way, including George Washington's home at Mount Vernon, Olde Town Alexandria, Arlington National Cemetery, and the local's favorite Gravelly Point (at the north end of National Airport's main runway).
The trail is some what tricky to follow as it passes through Alexandria because there are actually two route choices, both of which are on street. The more popular route is along the waterfront, via Union Street. There are several shops and restaurant around the King Street intersection. However, some may find that North Royal Street provides a more direct route. Either street route is quite bicycle friendly.

   

On Sunday I did 10 miles and on Saturday I did 4 miles. I will do 4 miles this Friday as I still need to make up a 4 mile run. I will then have left a 40 minute tempo run to make up to catch up to schedule.

I did the 45 minute tempo run last Thursday and 5 mile run on treadmill last Wednesday.


Week 12 looks like this -
 
May 25 - Monday - 4 miles (did this on Saturday - pre make up if there is such a thing)
May 26 - Tuesday - May 26 - 6 miles
May 27 - Wednesday - 5 miles
May 28 - Thursday - 7x800
May 29 - Friday - Rest (4 miles)
May 30 - Saturday - 6 mile pace
May 31 - Sunday - 12 miles

Though I have a 20 miler scheduled for next week I will actually be doing my next 20 mile run in New York with the New York Road Runners (NYRR) on July 26th. This is a fantastic trainer as you under race conditions as you are timed, there are water stops and you are running with others. I have always done at least one of these 20 mile runs that NYRR puts on when I have trained in the past and it has always helped me gage where I am training wise and toughens up my legs as running in Central Park is always a good run. I also will do the second 20 miler they put on in August.
 
So June is right around the corner! Summer plans besides running - hitting some water parks and enjoying beach time. What are your summer plans?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment