Monday, December 2, 2013

Day 1 - Three Miles Outdoor!

Day 2 - 3 miles outside today!  I got it done. So where I live is pretty hilly and that is great because my legs really get an amazing work out.  I ventured out about 6:15am this morning and did 3 loops around my house which made 3 miles feel extremely doable.  The warm up I did yesterday helped as I felt really good and in control of my run.  My pace did not improve much yet for keeping it with 35 minutes was fine as I kept the same pace as I did yesterday on the treadmill and did not lose time due to the hills.

I feel that my running stamina is gaining strength as my breathing was great. I did have to run/walk on my second loop around on a particular hill yet started the run back up again after just a couple of seconds.  I am using the Nike chip and ipod adapter to track my time and progress.  I love it because on the Nike site, you can sync your workouts from your ipod and it gives you a great detailed depiction of your workout.

To help with my training I will do races within the communities of both Maryland/DC and New York.  I am a DC and New York Road Runners member and both groups have great runs throughout the year that will allow me to run at a race day pace!  My first race will be in on March 2; the Washington Heights 5K (3.1 miles) in New York City (where I am originally from.)  Though a short distance race;  it has a wicked hill that you meet twice during the race), it will really help to activate my fast twitch muscles and allow me to gauge my pace progress.  My goal by that time is to be within about a 8:30 min/mile thus shaving about 3 minutes from my current pace!

So looking forward to Spring training and races yet for now easing my way in, gaining confidence and control and feeling really great at the start!   It was kind of depressing not running for the past 9 months yet it has made me even more hungry to get out there and appreciate the run!


I don't think about the miles that are coming down the road, I don't think about the mile I'm on right now, I don't think about the miles I've already covered. I think about what I'm doing right now, just being lost in the moment.

Ryan Hall, U.S. Olympic marathoner





John Hanc, author

No comments:

Post a Comment