Thursday, March 12, 2015

Hill Training and Weights

Found myself in the weight room during lunch break as I owed myself a arm, chest and back workout (did not do legs as I owed myself a hill workout after work). I started out with biceps curls and the plan was to bicep curl 20 pound dumbbells 25 time and then repeat for 3 sets. Well after the first set of that I quickly dropped that weight to 15 pounds dumbbells and finished out my sets. At one point I was decent at lifting...I have a lot of work to do! Also forgot to do a warm set where you warm up the target muscle with light weights before your goal weight.
 Will be more prepared next session. 
Here's my first before gym selfie! I continued with my 25 reps at 3 sets workout with these exercises - tricep extentions with 20 pound dumbbell, back extentions with 20 pound dumbbells, pull downs at 25 pounds increasing  to 40 pounds and low rows at 25 pounds. Also did 8 pushup on toes and the rest on knees.

I got home right before sunset to start my first hill training! Ran up the hill to warm up and ran down to where I would begin my sprint.
First time done in 2 minutes and 22 seconds.
Second time done in 2 minutes and 15 seconds.
Third time done in 2 minutes and 21 seconds. Definitely winded by this time and barely made it to end yet very happy to have sprinted the whole time.
Calories for today hit highest for the week at 1500 calories as after dinner of rice and peas with couscous I could not avoid having a mini bagel with vegan butter.
Yet with the weight and hill training I burned together about 350 calories so I am still in range and I continue to take in less than I am using - did I mention I also run after a 1 year old, that's about 200 calories right there  :)

Well I am cutting it close as it's about 11:30 pm as I type yet it's still Throwback Thursday and below is a pic of me crossing the finish line at last year's 2014 Santana Rosa Marathon. I made sure I was grabbing my well deserved medal. I was so happy to finish and the smile on my face says it all.
Tomorrow is Friday and I will officially be resting and thinking about my 5 mile pace run for Saturday. How do you incorporate  weight training with your cardio workout? Muscle is so fundamental and I feel so strong and confident when I have some!

Here's to BQing' in 2015
Yvonne

No comments:

Post a Comment