Monday, March 16, 2015

Week 2: After Work 3 Miler

Happy to start week 2 as jitters are gone and I begin to look forward to completing  every training task called for on my Advanced 1 Scheldue. I read over again Hal Higdon's advice on approaching this schedule and I am glad that he stated that long runs are meant to be done about 60 to 90 seconds slower than your goal pace and Monday runs are also meant to be done at a comfortable pace.
My long run yesterday was way over 90 seconds of my goal pace of 8:00 min mile yet the goal is the distance first and then the speed! Likewise Mondays are meant to ease you back into running mode and you then steadily buildup your effort during the week.
This week schedules looks like this :
3.16 Monday       3 miles
3.17 Tuesday      5 miles
3.18 Wednesday 3 miles
3.19 Thursday    30 minute tempo run
3. 20 Friday          REST
3.21 Saturday     5 mile run
3.22 Sunday       11 miles
Total of 27 miles and 30 minute tempo run.  Today's 3 miler was done at the gym after work. It was a busy day for me and my appetite was low throughout the day. I had 2 waffles (180 calories) for breakfast
A green drink for lunch (200 calories) and oatmeal with strawberries and a handful of almonds for snack (380 calories). By the time I knew eat it was 5:30pm. I felt ok yet don't think I had enough fuel to really kick of my pace earlier in the run and only started speeding up toward the end. Also after a long day of work I was most likely a bit fatigued and shoul have had a quick snack before the run. I finished in a little over 28 mins.
Tomorrow I will have a hearty breakfast and a good size snack and aim for a steady, strong and full on effort 5 mile run.
Here's to BQing' in 2015
Yvonne

No comments:

Post a Comment